Newcomers in Ontario play an essential role in strengthening our province both economically and socially. The Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) and The Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) are two of the organizations that offer programs to help communities and newcomers get access to the support and resources needed to ensure success.
Municipal Immigration Program
In support of Ontario’s Immigration Strategy, MCI is working to welcome and offer assistance to newcomers by issuing the Municipal Immigration Program. The program works with municipalities to provide newcomers with information on how to settle in Ontario, as well as how to move to a specific municipality. Eligible applicants can submit proposals for projects under the following priorities:
- Municipal Immigration Information Online
- Municipal Innovation Fund
- Municipal Immigration Workshop
Here are some examples of themes MCI is targeting:
- Francophone attraction and settlement
- Supporting the Group of Experts on Francophone Immigration Recommendation
- International Post-Secondary Student retention
- Refugee integration and support for non-economic immigrants
- Skilled worker attraction, settlement and integration
- Newcomer settlement and integration in small, rural and Northern communities
- Employer engagement
- Newcomer transitions to the labour market
- Access to settlement and integration programs
The deadline to submit applications is 4:00pm on June 22, 2017. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, submission instructions and evaluation criteria visit: http://www.grants.gov.on.ca/GrantsPortal/en/OntarioGrants/GrantOpportunities/PRDR016028
Small Business Loan for New Canadians
The Business Development Bank of Canada is also offering opportunities to newcomers through their Small Business Loan for New Canadians. BDC is providing newcomers to Canada with the opportunity to start their own business or to grow their company. With a minimal personal investment, individuals can get up to $50,000 (subject to approval).
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You immigrated to Canada less than two years ago, are a Canadian citizen or have permanent residence status
- You have a viable business plan
- You have no established or little credit history to easily access financing
For more information visit: bdc.ca or call 1-888-463-6232.