Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, has announced two initial projects as part of a long-term strategy to address labour challenges in the agri-food sector.
During a virtual roundtable with agri-food sector leaders, Minister Hardeman expanded on the government’s investment of $812,000 to two projects aimed at labour shortages.
- $617,400 for the Ontario Federation of Agriculture for Feeding Your Future: Connecting Ontario’s Agri-Food Workforce, a platform that helps fill the labour shortage through:
- a job matching concierge service
- free virtual career fairs
- a webinar series
- specialized training opportunities
- $195,000 for Food and Beverage Ontario to implement a strategy that will address critical challenges facing the sector such as talent attraction and retention, skills development, and innovation.
The announcement states that government, working together with industry partners, will promote career opportunities and support training in the agri-food sector while identifying concrete actions to make the agri-food value chain more resilient [to labour shortages.]
To view the announcement, click here: Ontario Supporting Agri-Food Sector with New Labour Strategy | Ontario Newsroom
Leave a Reply